The drive

As I mentioned before, I love the drive to work so I have some "alone" time. I spend time pondering the wonders of the world, usually just my world, listening to music or listening to conference. I was touched by the words of those who spoke in the Sunday morning session when I listened today. It brought me to tears as I related the words spoken to my own experiences. When I heard the excerpt below, I thought of sweet little Oliver, who unprompted said,"Jesus" before he was a year old. This talk reassured my duty as a mother. It was very uplifting and I didn't even know I need the uplifting.

  • "What is it we should learn from children? What qualities do they possess and what examples do they demonstrate that can help us in our own spiritual development? These precious children of God come to us with believing hearts. They are full of faith and receptive to feelings of the Spirit. They exemplify humility, obedience, and love. They are often the first to love and the first to forgive.  ...Todd, a little boy just two years old, recently went with his mother to an art museum that was showing a special exhibit of beautiful paintings of the Savior. As they walked past these sacred images, she heard her little boy reverently saying the name “Jesus.” She looked down to see him folding his arms and bowing his head as he viewed the paintings. Could we learn from Todd something about an attitude of humility, of reverence, and of love for the Lord?"

I also enjoyed this wonderful talk by Elder Kent Richards. It speaks of pain with a perspective I have never pondered. I love this part of the talk:

  • "Thirteen-year-old Sherrie underwent a 14-hour operation for a tumor on her spinal cord. As she regained consciousness in the intensive care unit, she said: “Daddy, Aunt Cheryl is here, … and … Grandpa Norman … and Grandma Brown … are here. And Daddy, who is that standing beside you? … He looks like you, only taller. … He says he’s your brother, Jimmy.” Her uncle Jimmy had died at age 13 of cystic fibrosis. For nearly an hour, Sherrie … described her visitors, all deceased family members. Exhausted, she then fell asleep.” Later she told her father, “Daddy, all of the children here in the intensive care unit have angels helping them.”
 You should read it for yourself. Attached are some pictures from mid-July.

Comments